Connect with us

Crime

Former world boxing champion Zolani Tete shot dead in Mdantsane

Avatar photo

Published

on

Former world boxing champion Zolani “Last Born” Tete has been shot and killed outside his home in Mdantsane, while a 27-year-old woman was seriously wounded in the attack.

Eastern Cape police confirmed that a murder and attempted murder investigation has been opened following the shooting in NU 17, Mdantsane, at approximately 18:30 on Friday, 21 August 2026.

Advertisement

According to preliminary information from the South African Police Service (SAPS), the 38-year-old victim was arriving at his residence and waiting for the gate to open when two unknown armed suspects wearing balaclavas emerged from a vehicle.

The suspects allegedly opened fire on Tete and his 27-year-old female passenger.

Advertisement

In an attempt to escape the gunfire, Tete drove his vehicle into the yard. He sustained fatal injuries and was declared dead at the scene.

The female passenger sustained multiple gunshot wounds and was rushed to a nearby hospital for medical treatment. Police said she remains hospitalised.

Advertisement

Police hunt for suspects

No arrests had been made by Friday night and the motive for the shooting remained unknown.

The two suspects fled the scene following the attack and police are searching for them.

Advertisement

SAPS initially said the identity of the deceased was known to police but would only officially be released once the next-of-kin notification process had been completed.

However, a subsequent statement issued by Eastern Cape Community Safety identified the deceased as former world boxing champion Zolani “Last Born” Tete.

Advertisement

MEC condemns killing

Eastern Cape Transport and Community Safety MEC Xolile Nqatha said he was deeply saddened by Tete’s killing and expressed condolences to his family, friends and the boxing fraternity.

The MEC also wished the injured woman a speedy recovery.

Advertisement

Nqatha said police would leave no stone unturned in their efforts to find and apprehend those responsible for the killing.

He also appealed to members of the community to provide police with any information that could assist investigators in tracing the perpetrators.

Advertisement

The Inyibiba SAPS is investigating cases of murder and attempted murder.

The circumstances surrounding the shooting, including its motive, remain under investigation.

Advertisement

Komani News is your trusted source for local news, events, and community updates in the Komani region and beyond. We cover politics, municipal affairs, sports, weather, and human interest stories. Your story starts here.

Continue Reading
Advertisement
Click to comment

Leave a Reply

Your email address will not be published. Required fields are marked *