Crime
Midnight Raid Nabs Komani ‘Killer’ Hiding in Lady Frere
A dramatic midnight operation has led to the swift arrest of the suspect accused of murdering a Komani businessman in an execution-style shooting earlier this week. The breakthrough comes just two days after Komani News first reported the killing, which occurred outside the victim’s home in Mlungisi.
BREAKTHROUGH: Killer Suspect Found Hiding in Lady Frere
Red Guard Security confirmed that an intelligence-driven operation was launched late last night after information indicated that the fugitive had fled to Lady Frere.
According to their official Report:
-
The joint team travelled to Lady Frere during the night
-
The suspect was found hiding in a house on the outskirts of the town
-
He was immediately detained
-
The firearm believed to have been used in the murder was recovered in his possession
-
The suspect was transported back to Komani and detained at Komani SAPS
Units involved in the operation included:
- SAPS Komani Crime Intelligence
- SAPS Komani K9
- SAPS Mlungisi Detectives
- Red Guard Security Tactical Response
- QRRU Armed Reaction
Police Confirm Arrest and Firearm Recovery
SAPS spokesperson Yolisa Mgolodela confirmed the arrest to Komani News on Friday morning:
“The police can attest to the arrest of the Mlungisi businessman murder suspect at Lady Frere around 1:00 in the morning. The firearm that is suspected to have been used in the commission of the crime has been recovered. He is detained at Komani to appear at Komani Magistrate’s Court very soon.”
FIRST REPORT: Businessman Shot Dead in Execution-Style Attack
Originally published on 26 November 2025
Read the initial article here:
The first report confirmed that a well-known Komani businessman was shot seven times outside his home in Masabalala Street, R-Section, near Lukhanji Primary School, at around 20:20 on Monday night.
He suffered four gunshot wounds to the head and three to the chest, dying instantly before emergency services arrived almost an hour later.
Police confirmed early on that the suspect was known to authorities, triggering the manhunt that has now resulted in a successful arrest.
How the Confrontation Started: Child Seeking Help
Witnesses reported that the trouble began when a 14-year-old girl ran to the businessman claiming she had been slapped by two men at a nearby shop.
A witness said:
“The child came back crying, saying she had been spanked. The businessman approached the men, and a confrontation began. During the chase that followed, one of the men pulled out a gun and shot him multiple times.”
Another person who was present during the confrontation managed to escape unharmed, strengthening the belief that the attack was targeted.
Community in Shock but Relieved After Arrest
Residents of R-Section say the suspect’s arrest has brought a measure of relief.
“It was terrifying because the shooting happened in a busy area, near homes and the school,” a neighbour said. “At least now he’s caught.”
Local business owners also reacted with sadness, describing the victim as a respected and humble man.
